Monday, September 10, 2007

a woman and some more

this weekend was great..
i was in the company of some exceptional women.


met Mabel on Friday night at my friend oyin's bday.(mabel was oyin's college room mate)the minute she walked in, she radiated elegance and poise, correct wattage smile, simple but elegant attire, minimal makeup and a twinkle in her eyes.
when introduced to me she gave me the biggest hug and said, we finally meet! my gorgeous sister!!(apparently oyin had told her about me just as she had told me about her)
so we sat down to talk......
i remembered oyin making plans and going out of state for Mabel's wedding last year. it was one of those "wedding of the year" shindig.

it happened that the groom skipped out on the wedding day, what did home girl do?

she had the Tiffany blinder overnighted to the bobo,packed up the wedding dress and headed to the church , where she rededicated her life to God and help lead more than fifty people to salvation,had the hall redecorated for a thanksgiving party, gave all the guests the option to take back their gifts before donating them to charity and then she partied till dawn.needless to say, it was a memorable party.

i remembered being proud of how she handled the situation and yet concerned about her when oyin recounted the events,and i insisted she check on her often.

as expected there was a lot of "talk", some said she must not have loved the bobo, other said she was masking the pain, some said she was still in shock ...

i asked,if she cried,if she loved the bobo and where she got the strength to move on?

her response:
i cried for about 5 mins and then it dawned on me he was not who i thought he was which means i was crying for someone who didn't exist, that's when i realize that i should be thankful,I'll take a cancelled wedding any day to a miserable marriage. won't u?
then i got very angry, angry at myself angry at my parents:here they are throwing me the biggest party ever just because i snagged a man, as if to say this is your biggest achievement ever!
how come they didn't throw a big party for my 21st bday, what about college graduation? graduation from law school? passing the bar? heck! why didn't i throw myself a big party for any or all of those milestones? that's when i decided i should celebrate myself.
i loved him,i still talk to him, can't waste my time being bitter or negative what's the point of that? my strength is from the love of God and the love i have for myself.
i have no regrets at all. i'm dating a great guy if it leads to marriage good if not great.

Oyin,
glad ur bday party rocked! u rocked that fasasi!!(i want my manute boo back kia kia)
thanks to mabel, we're all throwing bday parties this year(our own contribution to the economy.. yes ke)

3 comments:

Daddy's Girl said...

Oh wow... she is strong, love her attitude, that's what it's all about...

Refinedone said...

That is what I call a Phenomenal Woman!!!

while reading this post I had to raise my glass to her.What an attitude and an example.

Sherri said...

ladies,
thanks o
she's all that and more..